At New England Design & Construction, we help owners of historic houses reimagine their unique homes with an eye towards creating modern, functional spaces. We focus on ensuring the original craftsmanship and design is complimented in a way that gives you the home of your dreams while staying true to what makes the space special.
When we remodel historical homes in the Boston area, we ensure that:
- • The home’s unique charm is kept intact
- • The history of the space and neighborhood is respected
- • Any and all historical design restrictions are considered
- • The design of the house reflects the functional needs of the homeowner
Our experience is centered on delivering an efficient, responsible, and accountable concept-to-completion design-build process. Our historic home architects design spaces that can actually be built – both on-time and on-budget.
When working with NEDC, we’ll take care to listen to your vision and goals so the end result is a space your family will love for years and will remain timeless for generations. No matter how you want your home updated, the architectural designers and remodelers at New England Design & Construction can help turn your vision into reality.
“Without question this is a 5-star organization. Quality people, quality workmanship, and outstanding customer service. NEDC is simply the best at what they do. Trust your home and any improvements you want to NEDC.”
– Bill P.
Request your complimentary design consultation
Call us at (617) 708-0676 or contact us
The Architectural Design Process for Historic Homes
The Architectural Design Process for Historic Homes
At New England Design & Construction, we focus on delivering an inclusive architectural design and remodeling process. Our goal is to fully execute your unique vision in a positive way you’ll enjoy. Our historical home design and remodeling team will be there every step of the way to ensure every detail is taken care of from beginning to end.
Our architectural design team are experts in ensuring a space retains its unique historical element, while still adding the luxury and convenience of modern design. They’ll also ensure that any legal requirements for your historic home, such as exterior paint color or aesthetic restrictions, are considered and taken care of.
Our process follows a proven 9-step design-build method:
1. Space evaluation – We’ll examine and document your existing space and its architecture, providing a canvas to fully execute your vision.
2. Design development – With collaboration from you, our team will offer suggestions and solutions for developing the perfect historic house plans, architectural plans, and design drawings, including the following:
Existing Architectural Documentation
Architectural Floor Plan Drawings
Architectural Elevation Drawings
Architectural Detail Sketches
Structural Design Drawings
Interior Design Boards
3. Historical cohesion – We’ll work with local historical societies to ensure the design conforms to the historical style of the neighborhood
4. Photo-realistic renderings – We’ll sketch the details and produce photorealistic renderings of your new space, allowing you to visualize your reimagined home before construction even begins
5. Materials selection – In collaboration with you, we’ll pick out all the materials needed for your remodeling project. We’ll create an itemized summary before construction begins so you know exactly what everything will cost.
6. Pre-construction consultation – You’ll meet with the production team and your project manager to cover key information and discuss lines of communication
7. Weekly meetings with you – Through the duration of the project you’ll meet with your project manager weekly so they can cover any coordination points and answer questions
8. Final walk through and wrap up – Upon completion of the project, we’ll walk through your new place with you and note any finishing touches. After a few weeks, we’ll come back to garner feedback and provide a project binder containing important documents and information you’ll need in the future.
9. Warranty – Finally, in accordance with our 2-year service warranty, we’ll contact you periodically to ensure you’re happy and satisfied
Due to our meticulous planning, we can control your home remodeling project’s budget with detailed precision. When you work with other remodeling companies, project cost change rate will generally be 11%-15%. At NEDC, our average budget change rate is just 3% once the project has been started!
See Our Architectural Design Process in Action
Historic Kitchen Remodel
With this historic home kitchen remodel, New England Design & Construction aimed to retain the segregated prep and clean up areas while still updating and opening up the space. The family wanted a kitchen where family and friends would congregate, which was achieved in part by the custom bi-level island. A challenge for this remodel was integrating the old, historic windows into the modern aesthetic of the new kitchen. The family loved the results!
See more photos.
Why Choose NEDC for your Historic Boston Home Remodel?
New England Design and Construction (NEDC) is Boston’s most trusted architectural design and remodeling firm. Located in the heart of Boston, we serve the entire Boston area.
Our design-build firm specializes in:
- • Architectural design and home additions
- • Whole home remodeling
- • Kitchen remodeling
- • Bedroom remodeling
Through meticulous planning and a strong attention to detail, our team creates bright, beautiful, and functional spaces you and your family will enjoy for years to come.
Meet Our Team
“New England Design and Construction finished the project on budget and two days early! I was in my new kitchen for Mother’s Day. Every time I step into the kitchen, I am thankful for New England Design and Construction for making my dream become reality. My husband and I can both be in the kitchen, and not be on top of each other! I highly recommend New England Design and Construction, and look forward to hiring them for my next dream project.”
– Stephanie W.
Experience Award-Winning Architectural Design
“If anyone out there is hesitant about hiring the services of NEDC, don’t be. David and his designers, builders, contractors, and office staff are all passionate professionals in what they do. From initial design, to shopping for bathroom fixtures and tiles, to demolition and construction, NEDC stuck to the schedule they provided allowing us to know exactly what was going to happen each week and they communicated with us any issues or changes as they happened. All throughout the project they kept the work area clean and maintained other work areas in the house and cleaned up each day before leaving. The bathroom/bedroom remodel was finished on time and looks amazing! Thanks for a great job!”
– JC B
Ready to reimagine your historic New England home?
Call (617) 708-0676 or contact us for your free in-home consultation